Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Architecture: New England Colonial


This style of architecture was popular from the founding of the first colonies up until the mid-18th century, mostly in New England. They were influenced strongly by the design of English cottages, which many of the colonists were familiar with. Most of these houses were strictly functional; they were built for security from both enemies and the weather. They had a central chimney which warmed the entire building, which was usually only one room deep and two across, the hall and the parlour. Rooms upsatirs typically weren't heated, so they were used mainly in the summer and for storage. There was nothing fancy about the steep, gabled roofs, clapboard fronts, and heavy doors, mainly because the colonists were concerned more with usefulness than embelishment and symmetry during this period.

9 comments:

  1. hey, loved looking at all of the houses. i think all the houses but New England colonial have some resemblence to today's homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houses are so cool...part of the reason I like travelling so much is that I get to see the different styles of architecture that exist around the country...anyway, like Andrew said, the houses certainly look like the precursors to modern day homes. I enjoy that you approached the overarching topic of the American Revolution from a completely unexpected and unique angle, it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! excellent and interesting. It's interesting to see how the immigrants specific to each area impacted architecture. I wish I lived in the French Colonial! So nice with the porch... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, this was a very different kind of blog post, and in a very good way! Rather than examining the people and what they did, this examines where they lived. Interesting and informative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great! I wouldn't have imagined there were so many different kinds of colonial architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pictures. I love this topic, architecture is so interesting. I want to be an architect. It's weird though I don't really think of colonial architecture. I just think of the little houses like seen at the colonial village places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I must say that I not at all surprised by the architectual types I have seen. Most of them I have personally witnessed. I liked this blog however. It was a breath of freshness unlike that of any nature known.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know when I think of colonial I think of one type of architecture. All these different types were a enlightenment on my knowledge (wow that sounded corny).

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's interesting that all those different nationalities had a different impact on architecture. That's fascinating. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete