Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Song 11 "A Change Is Gonna Come"

by Seal (although it was originally by Sam Cooke)




When it was written.
1963 (released 1964)

What it is about.
This song was inspired by tragic events in Cookes life. However, it came to represent the civil rights movement.

How the story is told.
The story is told by a guy who has been treated unfairly all of his life and only hopes for change. "There have been times that I thought I couldn't last for long, but now I think I'm able to carry on. It's been a long time coming, but I know a change is gonna come." The original writer, Sam Cooke was alive during the civil rights movement, and I think the true emotion of having been there is evident in the song.

My thoughts.
To me this was a very hopeful song. I loved that a man who had so much misfortune could keep such a brave amd hopeful face.

What we can learn.

This song seems to represent the feel of the civil rights movement very well. They have been opressed, and now they want change. Thats was supposed to be the point of America. Equal rights and equal opportunity. And the people in the civil rights movement (and other movements too for that matter) keep their hopes up in the face of all opposition and eventually succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment